George Floyd was the victim of a horrific abuse of power and act of violence, and his death was not an isolated occurrence. There are other names we know like Ahmaud Arbery, Eric Garner, and Michael Brown, and unfortunately many, many others that we don’t know their names. Police brutality and racism needs to stop and we need real changes to laws and enforcement to stop it. We need to band together and promote where we see the unity and help support people to take action.
Here are some meaningful actions you can take:
1. Sign petitions demanding justice
- Justice for George Floyd: https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jacob-frey-justice-for-george-floyd
- #JusticeForFloyd: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/justiceforfloyd_george_floyd_minneapolis
- Text “FLOYD” to 55156
2. Participate in actions around Breonna Taylor’s birthday
A Kentucky woman working as an EMT was killed after officers forced their way inside her home and exchanged shots with her boyfriend, according to a lawsuit filed by her mother. The officers were executing a search warrant in a narcotics investigation, the Louisville Metro Police Department has said, when they entered Breonna Taylor’s apartment just before 1 a.m. on March 13.
Breonna Taylor would’ve been 27 years old on Friday June 5. Here are a few things you can do to honor her memory.
- The writer Cate Young is organizing actions for Breonna’s birthday
- #BirthdayForBreonna – Flood social media tomorrow. Tag posts #SayHerName and #BirthdayForBreonna
- The campaign – Contact Kentucky governor, police and AG to get answers of what happened
- Take a look at the list of demands on FightForBreonna.org
3. Donate to organizations that fight to end injustice
- Reclaim the Block: https://www.reclaimtheblock.org/home
- Campaign Zero: https://www.joincampaignzero.org/#campaign
- George Floyd Memorial Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
- Black Visions Collective: https://www.blackvisionsmn.org/
- ACLU: https://www.aclu.org/
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/
4. Donate to families
- George Floyd’s family has started a GoFundMe to cover funeral and burial costs.
- There’s also a GoFundMe to provide for his 6-year-old daughter
- Donate to GoFundMe for Taylor’s family, which will help cover their legal costs.
- Donate to GoFundMe for Ahmaud Arbery’s mother, donations to which will similarly fund the family’s legal battle.
- Donate to GoFundMe for David McAtee’s mother and family: McAtee was fatally shot just after midnight on June 1, after police officers and National Guard members fired into a crowd of people who were not taking part in the evening’s protests.
5. Resources and education
There are a wealth of protest resources on the web to educate yourself and support, who knows maybe even join one. The important thing is we try to educate ourselves about how racism is systemic and what it is like to be black. Check out Showing Up for Racial Justice, their work is to help move white people. Unless we end our silence, the changes won’t happen. Think about unity and how we can make it happen.